Site Menu

The Provincial Chapter

Visitors Counter

 
×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 133

Inception of Thanjavur province:
Pro1     Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate took root in Kumbakonam, the Southern part of India at the invitation extended by Msgr. Bottero, the Bishop of the newly founded Diocese of Kumbakonam. Sr. Jeanne de Gethsemane was appointed superior with Sr. Philomine as her companion and two other sisters from Nagpur as temporary helpers. They were accommodated in a rented house, rather far from the Cathedral. The ceremony of the foundation took place on 25th March 1900.  

    Soon after the foundation two dispensaries were opened. The Bishop asked our sisters to take charge of the Old Age Home established in the compound of the Cathedral. He also entrusted to them a group of 15 orphan girls. The beginning of the mission was very difficult as our sisters were ignorant of the language, customs and habits of the people especially the caste system which was prevalent in Kumbakonam. They committed themselves to the service of the Lord.

    Mother Marie Gertrude wanted to have another house where sisters could go for a change. Bishop Bottero proposed Tharangambadi as he was concerned of the fisher folk who were all Hindus and also many Catholics have turned to Lutheran since the coming of the Protestants. The proposal was accepted and the new house was opened on 25th March 1901. A few years later, the missions in Mayiladuthurai and Pasupathikoil were established.

    The apostolate that began with a small dispensary at Holy Angels' Convent, soon extended to Pastoral, Educational, Health - care and Social activities in response to the need of the different dioceses.The co-operation and participation of the missionaries were very much sacrificing, challenging and encouraging.

Bifurcation of Provinces:
    The missions in India were constituted as one province under the guidance of Mother Jeanne Henriette as provincial from 1957. In 1965, the Indian province was bifurcated into three provinces namely Nagpur, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

Bifurcation of Tamilnadu Province:
    The Tamil Nadu province was formed on 15th October 1965 with Mother Marie Francoise as the first Provincial. From 1968 the provincial resided in Holy Angels' Convent at Kumbakonam.  On 6th August 1983, SMMI provincialate was shifted to Thanjavur. Sr.Therese Luc, Sr.Mary Agnes Thomas, Sr.Immacula, Sr.Mary Paula, and Sr.Mary Vianney served as provincials of the Tamil Nadu Province for different periods of time.

    For the sake of better administration and growth of the province, Tamil Nadu province was bifurcated on 3rd April 2005 into two provinces, namely Thanjavur  and  Salem. Sr. Mary Vianney continued to be the Provincial of Thanjavur Province with 20 houses. Sr. Mary Vianney has completed her second mandate as provincial on 5th October 2009 & Sr. Maria was nominated as the new provincial of Thanjavur Province and took charge on 7th October 2009.

    The provincial house is located at Thanjavur having varied activities in different parts of the Province. The provincial with her councillors coordinates the activities of the communities.  Thanjavur province constitutes of 20 houses in 6 Diocese of Tamil Nadu and two communities in Kenya, East Africa.

Missionary Activities of MMG